Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The next project - Imperial Guard Patrol

I found a copy of Codex Imperial Guard going cheap last week, combined with the left over bits I shall have after finishing my human auxilieries, it's tipped the balance and helped me make a decision on my next project - An Imperial Guard Patrol Force for use with the 40k in 40 minutes game in the back of the new edition rule book.

That means I have 400 points to spend and a few different force composition rules to observe. Going for a 40k in 40 minutes patrol means I can build a playable force without having to buy or paint too many models. Not wanting to make things too easy for myself I'm planning to include quite a few conversions of one degree or another as well as making use of some of the interesting bits of Guard kit that Forge World produce at the moment.

An initial line-up for the patrol is as follows

Armoured Fist Squad
  • 9 Guardsmen
  • Veteran Sergent with shotgun
  • Grenade Launcher
  • Chimera Transport with turret multi-laser and heavy flamer, Rough Terrain mods and Searchlight
Rough Rider Squadron
  • 9 Guardsmen
  • Veteran Sergent
  • Melta Gun
  • Grenade Launcher
Sentinal Squadron 1
  • Armageddon pattern Sentinal (Las Cannon)
  • Armoured Crew Compartment
Sentinal Squadron 2
  • Cadian pattern Sentinal (Auto Cannon)
  • Cammo Nets
The Rough Rider Squadron is going to take the most work. To begin with, I intend to mount my riders on Cold One lizards from the Fantasy Battle range. I also don't like the mongol-style riders so I'm going to have to work something out there. I want a lot of shotguns in the squad as well as the assault weapons, none of which are available for Rough Riders in the standard figure range. There is going to be plenty of heavy-duty conversion work in this unit alone.

On top of that I still have all things Tau to finish, not to mention the arrival of all the new stuff in a couple of months, and a fledgling Marine force which deserves at least some attention before I begin an entirly new army.

No comments: