Thursday, January 19, 2006

Finished - XV15 Suits

Here are the other two regular members of my Stealth Suit squad.

The paint scheme for this unit is very quick and effective. First I undercoat with Chaos Black spray, followed by dry brushing with Tin Bitz then Boltgun Metal. Next I dry brush 3 or 4 succesivly lighter shades of green going from Catchan up to Cammo. If the green layers have made the model too dull I finish with a very light dry brushing of Boltgun Metal to put a hint of metalic sheen back in. Various edges then recieved a further highlight of Cammo Green. It takes about 25 minutes to paint a squad of three to this stage.

After that I add the helmet lenses and the green stone on the chest emblem as well as a touch of Boltgun Metal on the gun barrels. Next the white shield on the chest and pack as well as the antenna tips.

On the Squad leader (see last post) I went one step further to paint the helmet and shoulder guard in white and to colour the cables from the marker light red and green.

Job done!

The bases are covered in medium modelling sand painted Bestial Brown and then dry brushed with two lighter shades, Snakebite Leather and then a mix of Snakebite and Bronze Flesh to end and give it that orange tint. The final step is to apply patches of grass. I use a mix of Green Flock and Static Grass, which I think gives a more realistic look than either of the two on their own.

I prefer black bases to the green that seems to be more comman. After everything else is finished I go back over the base with a thin coat of Chaos Black. I don't mind if a bit of the texture ing material is hanging over the edge of the plastic base, but I make sure that anything not part of the texturing is clean and black. The very final step is a coat of varnish, in this case gloss to give the suits a bit of extra shine.

No comments: